Pz Kpfw V ausf A “PANTHER A”
From August 1943 to May 1944, a new variant of the Panther tank designated as “Panther ausf A” began to leave the production line. This variant was externally similar to Panther D, but had incorporated a series of modifications to improve their performances. A cast commander’s cuppola was incorporated, with seven periscopes and a rail to install an MG-34 machine gun, and an armored ball mount (Kugelblende 80 type) was mounted on the glacis plate. The running gear was reinforced, skirts (Schürzen) were installed, a layer of Zimmerit antimagnetic paste was applied, and the gunner’s sight was now monocular rather than binocular. Later, the turret would be modified eliminating the left side loading port and the side vision port plugs, leaving only the rear hatch and the commander’s cuppola hatch, giving greater strength to the turret by having fewer openings.
PANTHER A gallery and more info