M-10 / M-10A1 GMC
The US Army took the decision to create units specially equipped for anti-tank fighting framed in the so-called Tank Destroyer Force. These units would be Battalion type and needed specific vehicles for the task entrusted. After several unsuccessful projects, in November 1941 a tank destroyer vehicle armed with a 76mm gun mounted on a rotating turret was requested. In April 1942, two vehicles designated as T-35 and T-35E1 were presented by Chrysler. In the first one, the 76mm M-7 gun (from M-6 heavy tank), was installed inside a cast, circular, open-topped turret over a M-4A2 Sherman tank hull. The second vehicle had the same turret but it was mounted on a modified hull, lower and with sloped side armor. In June 1942, the T-35E1 was chosen for production under designation “3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M-10“. The Chrysler’s Fisher Tank Division began the production immediately, delivering the first vehicles in September 1942. The M-10A1 was built by Ford and began to be delivered in October 1942, this variant had the M-4A3 Sherman tank chassis instead of M-4A2 tank chassis.
M-10 GMC gallery 1 and more info
M-10 GMC gallery 2 and more info