In 1913, the Royal Navy incorporated three battlecruisers of the Lion class to the Grand Fleet, (Lion, Princess Royal and Queen Mary), and at the time of its appearance, were considered as “super cruisers”. Represented the same as HMS Dreadnought in the world of the battleships, a colossal advance in the concept of cruisers. In less than four years the ships went from the blueprints to be sailing, which was a great achievement. Its main artillery was 343mm, the same as the most powerful British battleships of the time and its protection was far superior to that of any previous British battlecruiser. Its speed was excellent, and although the projected maximum was 27 knots, the three vessels surpassed 30 in the War. They were nicknamed the “splendid cats” by sailors and were the largest warships put into service before WWI began in 1914. The two surviving WWI units were withdrawn in 1922 as part of the Washington Treaty agreement.
LION class gallery and more info