ANDREA DORIA class
The two units of the Andrea Doria class were the first ships projected for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) using helicopters as main weapon for that mission. Although its construction began in 1958, they did not enter service until 1964. Its design was based on the Impavido class destroyers, although the Doria class, were much more capable to develope antiaircraft, anti-ship, and ASW missions, and exercising as Flagship for naval combat groups. These vessels had advanced systems for their time, as navigation stabilizers and automated systems for damage control. Even a power station housed in two separate rooms was installed to prevent damage in the case of an impact. The interior of the ships were subdivided into six watertight compartments, being able to navigate with two of them flooded. They operated with four AB-212 ASW helicopters that were stored in a hangar located aft next to the flight deck.
ANDREA DORIA class gallery and more info