The Gillois EWK or PA “Pont Amphibian”, (amphibious bridge), of French origin, was built by the German company EWK jointly with a consortium of French companies and was put into service in 1967. They derived from the revolutionary designs of the French military officer Jean Gillois, who had begun to collaborate with the German company EWK in the conception of amphibious transport systems in 1954. After pressure from the French Ministry of Finance for production to be carried out in France, the project began in 1963, manufacturing about 250 units of the Gillois PA until 1973. They can be used as an amphibious transport or use several units to form a fixed bridge and cross large water courses. They were used widely by a large number of Engineer Regiments of the French Army and by several Western countries. This system was retired from the French army in 1997.
GILLOIS PA gallery and more info