PhotogaleriesMUMA tanks gallery 2023-04-10 Javier Renault FT-17 light infantry tank: Made in France, it was the first tank in service with the Spanish Army. The first arrived in June 1919, although it was not until December 1921 that the first unit of “Infantry Assault Tanks” was formed. The tank in the image does not correspond to this original batch, but was purchased from Poland during the Civil War. It is the oldest vehicle in the entire museum, and has been recently restored. This vehicle is in perfect running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base. It is probably the only original FT-17 tank that can be seen in running condition anywhere in the world. (image taken in 1996). Carro Veloce 1933/35 L-3: This tankette was manufactured in Italy in 1933 and arrived in Spain in 1936 at the beginning of the Civil War together with Italian volunteers. In total 147 CV 33.35 arrived in different variants, including 13 L-35 Lf flamethrowers, (image taken in 1996). Carro Veloce 1933/35 L-3: Despite its poor protection and armament, the CV 33.35 achieved some successes at the beginning of the Spanish Civil War, and participated in almost all the battle fronts during the 3 years of war. Some of them survived the war and were in service for a few more years, (image taken in 2014). PzKpfw I Ausf A light tank: German-made tank that was not actually designed as a combat vehicle, but to train the new German units that were being secretly formed, bypassing the prohibitions of the Treaty of Versailles. They arrived in Spain at the end of September 1936, and their inferiority against “real” tanks such as the Soviet T-26B soon became clear, (image taken in 1996). PzKpfw I Ausf A light tank: Despite their disadvantages, the best tactical use of these tanks, which were in large formations and always accompanied by infantry, allowed them to be very useful vehicles in combat. I do not know if the vehicle in the image is the same one exhibited abroad in 1996, however it is the only PzKpfw I Ausf A exhibited in 2014 in the form of a full-size diorama, (image taken in 2014). PzKpfw I Ausf B light tank: The Ausf B differed from the Ausf A in that it had a more powerful Maybach engine and a new transmission, so the hull had to be lengthened and a fifth wheel added to the running gear. In total, 21 vehicles arrived in Spain in November 1936, (image taken in 1996). PzKpfw I Ausf B light tank: These tanks were nicknamed “negrillos” (little blacks) because of their dark gray color. Some of them survived the Civil War and together with other surviving Ausf A they formed the first post-war armored units in the Spanish Army. The tank in the image has the markings belonging to the “Legion Combat Tank Flag”, (image taken in 2014). T-26 B Model 1933 light tank (Infantry Academy livery): Manufactured in the Soviet Union, it was undoubtedly the best tank of the entire Spanish Civil War. The first 50 arrived in the Republican Army in mid-October 1936, but the total amount would rise to 281 received until March 1938, (image taken in 1996). T-26 B Model 1933 light tank (Republican livery): These tanks participated in all the great battles of the Civil War. Their performance almost always ended in victory for those who had them on their side. Its 45mm gun could destroy any other armor of the participants in the war, however, the tactics used by the Republicans were not usually adequate and this resulted in losses, (image taken in 2014). T-26 B Model 1933 light tank (Nationalist livery): The Nationalist Army was soon aware that it was defenseless against the Republican T-26B tanks. Due to this, in 1937 the capture of these tanks was stimulated with a reward of 500 pesetas at the time, really a small fortune, (image taken in 1996). T-26 B Model 1933 light tank (Nationalist livery): The Nationalist T-26B tanks were differentiated from the Republican ones by painting the bicolor national flag on the gun mantlet. About 140 survived the Civil War and served in different units until 1953, when they were replaced by new American tanks received after the signing of the Madrid Agreements, (image taken in 2014). PzKpfw IV Ausf H medium tank: In 1943, twenty Pz.IV H medium tanks arrived in Spain as part of an agreement with Germany to deliver essential raw materials such as tungsten, lithium and zinc, among others, in exchange for military material for the Spanish armed forces. This exchange was included in the “Bär program”, (image taken in 1996). PzKpfw IV Ausf H medium tank: The Pz.IV H arrived in December 1943 and were included in several companies within the “Alcazar de Toledo” and “Brunete” Regiments, belonging to the 1st Armored Division. They were in service until 1965, when 17 were sold to Syria and the other 3 were kept as decorative elements in barracks, (image taken in 2014). M-47E medium tank: In February 1954, the first thirteen M-47s arrived in Spain, which were assigned to the “Alcazar de Toledo” Tank Regiment. The Spanish “E” variant refers to the original M-47 shipped from the USA without any modifications. It is estimated that in total around 400 vehicles arrived in various shipments, (image taken in 1996). M-47E medium tank: The M-47s were the backbone of the Spanish Armored Forces until the mid-1970s, when the much more powerful M-48 arrived. The American M-47s were joined by about 80 more from Italy, acquired in the 1970s to convert them into engineering and support vehicles. Finally only a few Italian M-47s were transformed into bridge launchers and engineer vehicles, (image taken in 2014). M-47E1 medium tank: Due to the high consumption of gasoline of the M-47E, a way to solve this situation was sought and in 1975 329 tanks were modified to the “E1” variant. This new variant was fitted with the Continental AVDS-1790-2A diesel engine, the same as the M-60 MBT, and an Allison CD-850-6A transmission. This improvement was carried out between 1975 and 1980, achieving greater autonomy and mobility than the M-48 MBT, (image taken in 1996). M-47E1 medium tank: The change of the engine and transmission led to the modification of the rear of the hull, the steering and the braking, cooling and exhaust systems, as well as the fuel tanks, among others. In addition, the machine gun on the front of the hull was removed and the coaxial one was replaced by the german MG-1A3 model, however the main armament was not modified, (image taken in 1996). M-47E1 medium tank: The M-47E1 remained in service until 1993, when a large number of M-60A1 and A3TTS tanks were received from US Army depots in Germany after the signing of the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE) in November 1990 . With these M-60 tanks, the entire fleet of Spanish M-47s could be replaced. This vehicle is in running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base, (image taken in 2014). M-41E light tank: In August 1957, the first 38 M-41s arrived, which would be followed by another batch of 34 M-41A1s in 1960. These tanks came from American surpluses and arrived as part of a Military agreement signed in 1953 between Spain and the United States. Later, around 1970, the Spanish Army received another batch of about 100 M-41s from Germany, (image taken in 1996). M-41E light tank: The M-41s were framed mainly in Cavalry armored units, although some were also in the “Alcazar de Toledo nº61” Tank Regiment, carrying out reconnaissance missions. In the mid-60s the “Jarama” Cavalry Brigade was formed with fifty M-41s. The “Spanish Walker Bulldogs” were in active service until 1988 but were definitively retired in 1991, (image taken in 2014). M-48A1 MBT: In 1970, the first M-48A1 arrived in Spain, which would serve together with other M-48 and M-48A2 received in different batches between 1965 and 1975. In total, the Spanish Army operated 164 M-48 tanks of different variants, (image taken in 1996). M-48A1 MBT: Both the M-48A1 and the M-48 had a gasoline engine and a 90mm cannon like the M-47, although the protection was superior. These first M-48 and M-48A1 replaced the M-47 of the “Alcazar de Toledo” Tank Regiment. In October 1974 a battalion of this Regiment was deployed in the Spanish Sahara before the crisis unleashed by Morocco. The M-48 carried out control and reconnaissance missions until November 20, 1975, when the mission ended, (image taken in 2014). M-48A5E2 MBT: Between 1981 and 1983 the entire fleet of M-48A5E and E1 tanks was modified to the M-48A5E2 standard. This was the most modern and efficient version in service with the Spanish Army, which kept it in service until the late 90s. In addition to the 105mm American M-68 gun, it also had a Hughes Mk.7 firing direction with laser rangefinder and computerized ballistic calculator. This vehicle is in running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base, (image taken in 2014). AMX-30E MBT: In June 1970, France and Spain agreed to manufacture 180 AMX-30E in Spain, but due to the crisis in the Spanish Sahara, 19 AMX-30 were urgently purchased in France to send them to that area. Later, in October 1974, the first 5 AMX-30E manufactured in Spain were delivered. The first batch of AMX-30E progressively replaced M-41 and M-48 tanks in service with the Brunete Armored Division, (image taken in 1996). AMX-30E MBT: In March 1979, another contract was signed for the manufacture in Spain of 100 additional AMX-30E, bringing the total number of vehicles used by Spain to 299. Due to problems with the clutch and transmission, it was decided to modify 210 vehicles to solve these problems. Later, two improved versions would be made, designated as AMX-30ER1 and AMX-30EM2, which remained in service until the beginning of the 21st century, (image taken in 2014). AMX-30E “EL NIÑO” MBT: One of the first attempts to solve the AMX-30E‘s constant engine and transmission problems was to install a new set of American origin. To do this, the hull had to be lengthened by 30 cm and the rear part modified. The aforementioned vehicle was nicknamed “El Niño” (the child), because it took 9 months to develop it. Finally this prototype was not chosen for production, but it was a key piece for further improvements. This vehicle is in running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base, (image taken in 2014). AMX-30EM2 MBT: In 1987, the remodeling of 150 AMX-30E was approved, which received new engines and transmissions, as well as a modern fire direction and several improvements in the protection. This variant was designated as AMX-30EM2. The engine chosen was the same as the Leopard 1 MBT, the 850hp MTU MB-833 Ka-501 diesel, and the transmission was the ZF LSG3000. The new firing direction was the ENOSA Mk.9 A/D and the improvement was completed with the installation of an automatic fire extinguishing system and an anti-explosion system in the turret. These tanks were in service from 1990 to 2005 approximately. This vehicle is in running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base, (image taken in 2014). M-60A3 TTS MBT: In 1992 Spain received some 310 M-60A1 and M-60A3 TTS tanks from the US Army. Despite being a material with many years and wear, it allowed to homogenize the fleet and remove the most outdated tanks from the Spanish Army. Likewise, 17 M-60A3 TTS were destined to replace the obsolete M-48A3 of the Marine Infantry and another 50 M-60A1 were destined to be converted into bridge-launching and engineering vehicles, (image taken in 2014). M-60A3 TTS MBT: Although the delivery of the M-60 was “free”, the truth is that a huge financial outlay had to be made to clean up and put the entire fleet into service. After refurbishment work, the M-60 remained in service until 2011, when it began to be replaced by the much more powerful Leopard 2E. This vehicle is in running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base, (image taken in 2014). LEOPARD 2A4 MBT: In November 1995 the Spanish Army could count on the long-awaited Leopard 2A4. After the signing of a collaboration agreement between Spain and Germany, 108 Leopard 2A4 were leased for an initial period of 5 years and a contract was signed for the manufacture in Spain of the Leopard 2E variant. The entry into service of the Leopard 2A4 meant that the Spanish Armored Forces had, for the first time in many decades, a modern and powerful vehicle capable of facing any type of threat on the battlefield. This vehicle is in running condition and can be seen in motion at open days and military celebrations within the base, (image taken in 2014). CHIEFTAIN Mk.12 MBT: The history of this tank is really curious, since it was never in service with the Spanish Armed Forces, nor did it ever participate in tests carried out by the Army. The origin of this Chieftain Mk.12 dates back to its acquisition at auction by a collector from Valencia. After acquiring the tank and bringing it to Spain, he was met with frontal opposition from the authorities to the vehicle being in civilian hands, despite having all the weapons disabled. Unfortunately Spain is not the United States or the United Kingdom, where they have a greater military and historical culture, and where it is quite common to be able to enjoy wonderful private collections of combat vehicles, (image taken in 2014).