The G-5 class was an improved version of the Sh4 class and it should be the standard MTB for the second five-year program of the Soviet Navy. They were based on the British CMB type boats, although their hull was made of aluminum. They had indigenous engines and were armed with 533mm torpedoes. In the period 1933-1944 about 330 units were divided into five main batches. In 1942 some G-5 mounted 88mm homemade rocket launchers, and this armament was so effective, that Soviet Command ordered to install ROFS-82mm and ROFS-132mm Katyusha type rocket launchers in these boats. Usually these rocket launchers were mounted on the coning tower. Four of these boats were sold to the Republican Forces during the Spanish Civil War. The USSR started WWII with 254 boats of this class, of which 104 were lost or decommissioned. However the production was maintained and at the end of WWII some 190 type G-5 remained in service. During the 1950s most of them were retired and some were transferred to North Korea.
G-5 class gallery and more info